Sunday, June 8, 2008

Interview : Emraan Hashmi


With the audience hooked to IPL, it was almost certain that Bollywood releases would get a miss. But Bhatt’s ‘Jannat’ fairing amidst this situation is a surprise. Emraan Hashmi, who has been lying low all this while, has made a great comeback with the success of the film. And like a wise man he has wasted no time in hiking his price from his regular 1.5 crores to 5 crores.

Excerpts from an Interview:

Posing Jannat against IPL. Weren’t you nervous about the film’s release at a hour when nothing has been working literally?

We were definitely notified not to mix Jannat with IPL when a big film like Tashan had failed. But I was very confident about Jannat and see we managed to get a phenomenal opening. A film stands on its own, and the promos helped. I was having a low phase in my career and I counted on Jannat. It would have been frustrating if the film had failed. Jannat was a do or die situation for me. If it wouldn’t have worked nothing else would have.

You’re joining the big league of actors charging such a fee.

For us equations change with every release, every Friday makes our fate. After a dull phase, the sun has now started shining for me. When only Akshay Kumar and the Khans can manage to woo the audience, I’ve managed to deliver a solo hit.

But your price hike is very significant, isn’t it?

I would say that my price has gone up but again not drastically. I’ve my justification to quote a high price. There has been celebration going in my home. The day Jannat released I bought a BMW, as I was certain about the success of the film.

At this point why did you back out from Warner Brothers film?

I backed out of the project as serious negotiation was on. The only thing remaining to be done was I signing the contract. But they were waiting to see how Jannat would fare. The situation is in my favour now and I’m in a negotiable position now. I’m not ready to sign a film in my old price. It’s my turn to act pricey.

You’re a regular with the Bhatts. What kind of professional relationship you share with them?

Though we are relatives, we share a professional relationship first. But its not that I sign each and every film they offer me. I sign the film only when I’m convinced about it. I don’t accept every film as I’m choosy and I’m even choosier now. A film stands on its own, no matter who makes it. My price rise will be applicable for everyone. I haven’t spoken to them yet, but they are fair when it comes to such matters. I do get offers outside the Bhatt camp and after Jannat, I’m getting better films to do. I would say this is the best time of my career.

No comments: