Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interview: Amita Pathak


Amita Pathak wanted to be an actress from a very young age. Though her father producer father Kumar Mangat never took her aspirations seriously, she was determined about it. She had to wait for it, but her dream is turning true finally. Her first film, ‘Haal-e-Dil’ with newcomers Adhyayan Suman and Nakuul Mehta will arrive at the theatres soon. She talks about the film and more.

Excerpts from an Interview:

What is the film all about?

The story revolves around three people who tell each other their Haal-e-Dil. It’s about their first love and when they get it and they go ahead to prove it. My character in the film is called Sanjana and she is close to both these guys in her own way. But she loves them differently.

When did you decide that you have to do acting?

I was three years old when I watched Khilaaf, starring Madhuri Dixit and Mithun Chakraborty. Fans were going crazy over them, asking for autographs and pictures and I wanted to undergo the same experience. I tried acting in front of the mirror. My dad saw it and asked what was I doing and I told him that I wanted to act. He did not tale it much seriously at that time. After I turned 18 he understood that I was serious about my aspirations. He has been very supportive and got me scripts and read them to me.

What kind of preparations have you taken for your debut film?

I have done an acting course from Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Academy. I have also attended a three-month acting workshop with Om Katare and worked on my dance moves with Shiamak Davar. I know Kathak, western dance, salsa and jive. I've assisted in a couple of movies, like Omkara.

With your dad producing this film, how was the experience?

It is not easy to get a breakthrough in the industry and there are many strugglers out there more capable then me. With my father around I consider myself fortunate. But like all other actors I auditioned for the film in front of all the writers and the director. This film wasn’t specially made for me. I wanted to debut in a romantic comedy. But I did not get script of that kind. I decided not to read any script for a while as I got frustrated. I was in Punjab and my das got Haal-e-dil. My dad told director Anil Devgan that I would be apt for the film. Anil uncle was not sure if I would be interested in the role. He hardly recognised me when I met him at the auditions.

No comments: